Monday, January 21, 2008

Music to Workout to ...

So Kim over at Discovering Me recently asked everyone what music they listen to when they workout. A lot of great song lists were posted in the comments. Today I saw an article on NYTimes.com about the "right" kind of music to workout to entitled They're Playing My Song. Time to Work Out. They talk about how many beats per minute (B.P.M.) a song has ...

"... For a stroll walker going at a pace of around 3 miles an hour, a remixed track has a count of 115 to 118 B.P.M.; for a power walker going 4.5 m.p.h., the count is 137 to 139 B.P.M., while the B.P.M. for a runner elevates to 147 to 160...." Supposedly dance music is consistently in the 120 to 140 B.M.P. range, and so is a lot of rock music.

It's a very interesting article and has some links to playlists. I need to update my iPod with new (to me) music I've gotten out of the library (Keane, White Stripes, No Doubt, The Shins). I need to make a run/walking mix. I haven't run since Friday - today I just took a walk with my mom. Lazy, I know. I might do pilates tonight, but I said that last night as well. Will she? Won't she? It's all very exciting and cliffhangery, I know :)

4 comments:

Kim said...

You make me laugh!! :) So...don't leave me hanging - DID you work out???

Lily T said...

Great article! I need ideas to what music I should put on my mp3 player.

Vickie said...

People that teach step class and other fast moving classes - order music so that the whole CD is the same speed. They adjust each piece so that there is a consistent beat all the way through. I think I remember a instructor telling me these work out to about $35 per CD - but you get to pick each and every song and pick the tempo rate.

I think I remember someone at Curves saying all their music is set/made the same way - that is why some of the songs sound a bit different even if they are by the orginal artist.

angelfish24 said...

I need some new tunes too. I'll check out that article.
Way to go on the running and trying out pilates. I kinda like it and I like Yoga though I thought I wouldn't!