Tuesday, January 06, 2009

My "SMART" Goals for 2009

Weekly Weigh-in:
143 lbs. @ WW on Saturday, January 3rd
145 lbs. @ home on Tuesday, January 6th

Goals for 2009
Yep, it's my turn ... I figure one woman's resolution is another woman's goal, so today I think I'm ready to share my goals for 2009. Over the years I've learned that one should create S.M.A.R.T. goals (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, & Timely).

* Keep off 100% of original weight lost (82.8 lbs. lost - 141 lbs. goal)
It's specific, measurable (I got the scale now!), attainable (I kept off 97.8% in 2008!), relevant (d*mn straight!) and timely.

* Aerobic exercise 3x per week for at least 30 minutes (does not include my daily walking)
It's specific, measurable (the handy clock feature on my iPod), attainable (I keep repeating to myself, "I will join a gym", "I will join a gym"), relevant (need to stay healthy).

* Count points on a daily basis
I need to do this to stay accountable to my 1) portion sizes (which were always my downfall) and 2) my intake of fruits and vegetables and water (none of which I currently get enough of)

* Go to WW meeting every Saturday
This is really something I enjoy and find comforting. I crave structure and I like knowing I'll see familiar faces and my meeting leader, even if the crazy receptionist told me to "be careful" when she saw I was 2 lbs. above my goal weight! Yessh! (And it keeps me accountable.)

* Work related: Get 2 "exceeded expectations" and 1 "did not meet expectations" on next formal evaluation. I know this doesn't sound like a very challenging goal, but my company sets uber high standards.

* Post 4x per Week on my Blog/ Visit my fave blogs 4x per Week:
I see this as a selfish goal. I have missed being an active part of this community - I am so much happier when I make time for this. It has been interesting going from being a grad student, to unemployed to now working 50-60 hours per week and trying to keep my life trucking along. I am seeking balance my friends.

* Join 1 new club this year
It could be a new book club, a co-ed sports club, Road Runners, volunteering ... again, I need balance in my life, renewal, not just because of my job, but because my two closest friends are moving out of NYC this year: one is pregnant with twins (her 2nd and 3rd) and is moving to the (faraway) suburbs and the other has ailing parents and is looking to move back to her hometown (100's of miles away). I need to force myself to make more connections.


Okay my friends, there it is. 2008 was a wonderful, roller coaster of a year - things weren't always great, but they were 100x better than they have been in the last 5 years, if not longer.

Here's to 2009! Cheers!

3 comments:

Martalu said...

Cheers to you lady! What great goals! I'm sorry to hear that your friends are moving, though. But your plan to join clubs sounds awesome! I should look into that.

Hooray for 2009! This is our year, I just know it!

Vickie said...

LOVE the:
Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, & Timely

good posting - one of the best new year's ones I have seen so far!

Unknown said...

Love the list. BTW, did you go to WW today? (It's Saturday morning as I post this). Also, did you get my email about the question you posted on my blog about doctors? Just checkin.